Top Post Views

3: Malaysia REITs - Looking For My 2nd Durian Runtuh
4: Is Insurance Really Necessary?
5: Everyone Must be A Millionaire

Head to the watch list on the above tab to see my what's on my radar and foreseeable future postings =)

Decided to make adjustments on the way I blog & share due to time constraints and other commitments. In the coming weeks you should see them. Short updates but more frequent & concise.

Thursday, January 9, 2014

Brick or Break Investment?

Can you make decent money from collectibles? Yes and no, that depends on what kind of toy or collectibles you are looking at. I have a sizable collection of these at home from LEGO to Hard Rock limited edition pins, some selected Magic The Gathering rare cards, Shell car sets and Shell Select Doraemon display figures and even some Real Grade Gundams. Unknown to many folks, these items really do fetch a premium later on after the sets go EOL (end-of-life) from production or they stop selling in retail. Take for example the LEGO Harry Potter 4708-1: Hogwarts Express introduced in 2001 for $39.99, went EOL in 2003 and is now selling for ~$230 on the secondary market e.g. Ebay (x6 the original price). I did a more thorough research on LEGO back in June 2013 and started to add some into my portfolio.

Here are some good reads (And I mean really good ones):

Bear in mind that not all sets will bear fruit e.g. Lone Ranger sets are not doing well. I picked my sets carefully putting more weights largely on Lord Of The Rings (because of the adult fan base and Hobbit will definitely help spur interest in Middle Earth) and Star Wars (well known series and being rebooted with Episodes 7/8/9 soon). Also some of the more kinda limited special sets like Minecraft, Volkswagen Camper, Haunted House (the green bricks are very very rare, some people use for MOC: my own creation) and Seasonal sets like the Winter ones. 

You can view my LEGO brick collection here: http://my.brickpicker.com/nchoong (with charts and price values). To date it has appreciated by 11.44% (in less than 6 months due to some LOTR sets being sold out and approaching end of life). Overall if you are interested to spend some $$ on these, do store them carefully. From my experience the most interesting part is when you are actively researching their potential and looking for them. Happy hunting. This is the lighter side of investing in physical assets. Risk level is relatively medium as long as you pick popular & highly sought after collectibles which will outperform in the long-term horizon (5-years+). Heck anytime better than dumping $$ into FD for 3.50% p.a.





Disclaimer: The reports, analysis and recommendations in this blog are solely my personal views. I do not link to any investment body or company. As such, I will not be responsible of any of your investment decision. Consult your investment adviser or come to your own conclusions before making any investment decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment