Top Post Views

3: Malaysia REITs - Looking For My 2nd Durian Runtuh
4: Is Insurance Really Necessary?
5: Everyone Must be A Millionaire

Head to the watch list on the above tab to see my what's on my radar and foreseeable future postings =)

Decided to make adjustments on the way I blog & share due to time constraints and other commitments. In the coming weeks you should see them. Short updates but more frequent & concise.

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Just DuIt Only La

Some might have known that I went to the heart of Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur twice over the last month. I experimented with RON95 and RON97 fuel on my journey while using a friendly GPS device to keep track of my average speed on the expressway. Yes, I know details please:
  • Vehicle: 3 years old 1300cc MyVi with mileage history of 48000km.
  • Fuel: Shell Fuel Save RON95 and Shell V-Power RON97
  • Starting Line: Start of Penang Bridge
  • Finish Line: Sungai Buloh Toll Plaza
  • Average speed: 100km/per hour (took me ~3.5 hours for entire journey)
  • Journey length: ~375km

It only cost me RM35 when using RON95 while RON97 was a bomb at RM45! That is a whooping RM10 difference, quite an ouch to my wallet. Nevertheless RON 97 has its perks on cruising mode. Engine was far more quiet perhaps due to less knocking and overtaking those road hogs like mat rempit was a breeze with the added performance but it all comes with a price.

What I found out is that RON97 consumption is greater when driving speeds are more than 80kmph. I need to rev my engine pistons to 3000 revolutions per minutes just to be able to achieve 110kmph. To make a clear comparison, I only need to rev at 2000rev/min to get to the speed of 80kmph. And in Penang it is difficult to drive over 80kmph because we have 1.5million cars in an island area of 285sq km, that's 5263 cars per sq km! Why Penang no rapid transport system one....

So my previous thoughts have been proven. RON95 is applicable in highways or cruising mode but RON97 is more suited for city driving where performance matters at low gears because we tend to stop a lot more often. When I figured out the experiment it was Just Do It, but I found out in the end it was actually Just DuIt! Remember the RM10? Aiya nvm la at least I learn something new.

No comments:

Post a Comment